Small transient molecules are produced in supersonic jet apparatuses and investigated by means of high resolution spectroscopy in the mid-Infrared and mm- to submm-wavelength region. Primary goal are studies of new carbonaceous molecules which serve as tracers of the diffuse interstellar medium (ISM) and which are precursors of interstellar dust grains. Molecular properties are derived from laboratory spectra and will be used for observations with Herschel and SOFIA.
- B. Mookerjea, C. Vastel, G. E. Hassel, M. Gerin, J. Pety, P. F. Goldsmith, J. H. Black, T. Giesen, T. Harrison, C. M .Persson, J. Stutzki, Detection of a dense clump in a filament interacting with W51e2, Astronomy & Astrophysics, (2014), A&A in press (2014arXiv1404.0121)
- J. Krieg, V. Lutter, C. P. Endres, I. H. Keppeler, P. Jensen, M. E. Harding, J. Vázquez, S. Schlemmer, T. F. Giesen, and S. Thorwirth, High-Resolution Spectroscopy of C 3 around 3 μm, J. Phys. Chem. A 117, 3332–3339 (2013).
- B. Mookerjea, G. E. Hassel, M. Gerin, T. Giesen, J. Stutzki, E. Herbst, J. H. Black, P. F. Goldsmith, K. M. Menten, J. Krełowski, M. De Luca, T. Csengeri, C. Joblin, M. Kazmierczak, M. Schmidt, J. R. Goicoechea, and J. Cernicharo, Chemistry of C 3 and carbon chain molecules in DR21(OH)* Astronomy & Astrophysics, 546, A75 (2012).
- J. Krieg, A. Klemann, I. Gottbehüt, S. Thorwirth, T. F. Giesen, S. Schlemmer, A continuous-wave optical parametric oscillator around 5 μm wavelength for high-resolution spectroscopy, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 82, 063105 (2011).
- S. Thorwirth, J. Krieg, V. Lutter, I. Keppeler, S. Schlemmer, M. E. Harding, J. Vázquez, and T.F. Giesen, High-resolution OPO spectroscopy of Si 2 C 3 at 5 μm: Observation of hot band transitions associated with ν 3 , J. Mol. Spectrosc. 270, 75-78 (2011)
- T.F. Giesen, K. Jacobs, Laboratory-Experimental Methods, 179-217 in Interstellar Molecules (eds.) K.M.T. Yamada and G. Winnewisser, Springer Tracts in Modern Physics Volume 241 (2011)
Prof. Dr. Thomas Giesen