A short overview
This project performs research on superconducting detectors to use them in astronomical instruments. The requirements of the astrophysical projects of the CRC are large heterodyne receiver arrays with integrated sideband separation and wide bandwith starting at 230/345 GHz, THz receiver arrays up to 4.7 THz ([OI]) with extended instantaneous bandwidth and superconducting Microwave Kinetic Inductance Detectors (MKID) for wideband direct detection. Project D3 develops new circuits for SIS sideband separation mixers, SIS devices and mixers up to 2 THz, superconducting Hot Electron Bolometers to 4.7 THz and develops MKID arrays.
New superconducting Hot Electron Bolometers (HEB) were developed and tested for GREAT on SOFIA up to 4.7 THz and have been used with great success on many SOFIA flights. For the upGREAT multipixel receiver on SOFIA, THz waveguide HEB mixers were designed for 1.9-2.5 THz and 4.7 THz. For the research on superconducting Microwave Kinetic Inductance Detectors (MKID), a dark NEP measurement set-up was developed and tested with NbTiN MKIDs at 300mK. Measurements and studies have been performed on SIS integrated tuning circuits for frequencies higher than 700 GHz, while the functionality of lower-frequency SIS mixers was significantly improved. In order to use SIS mixers in a multi-pixel heterodyne receiver for the upcoming CCAT telescope, a design study was completed.
Within the CRC, the development in project D3 is intended to supply A and B projects with state of the art detectors that are tailored to the specific needs of the astronomical observations and /or laboratory spectroscopy. From project D2 we will receive QCL local oscillator sources for the development of mixers and detectors at THz frequencies (specifically 63 µm) and as local oscillator for prototype large FPA’s. On content, there is also a close collaboration with project S.
- Risacher, C., Güsten, R., Stutzki, J., Hübers, H.-W., Büchel, D., Graf, U.U., Heyminck, S., Honingh, C.E, Jacobs, K., Klein, B., Klein, TH., Leinz, C., Pütz, P., Reyes, N., Ricken, O., Wünsch, H.-J., Fusco, P., and Rosner, S., First Supra-THz Heterodyne Array Receivers for Astronomy with the SOFIA Observatory. IEEE Transactions on Terahert Science and Technology, 2016, 6, 199-211
- Büchel, D., Pütz, P., Jacobs, K., Schultz, M., Graf, U.U., Risacher, C., Richter, H., Ricken, O., Hübers, H.-W., Güsten, R., Honingh, C.E., and Stutzki, J., 4.7 THz Superconducting Hot Electron Bolometer Waveguide Mixer. IEEE Transactions on Terahert Science and Technology, 2015, 5, 207-214
- Selig, S., Westig, M.P., Jacobs, K., Schultz, M., and Honingh, C.E., Heat Transfer Coefficient Saturation in Superconducting NbTunnel Junctions contacted to a NbTiN Circuit and an Au Energy Relaxation layer. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 2015, 25, 240 0705
- Andree-Labsch, S., Jacobs, K., Stutzki, J., Schultz, M., and Honingh, C.E., Near Quantum Limited Nb-Al-AlOx-Nb Mixers on 9 μm Thick Silicon Substrates around 350 GHz. Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, 2014, 35, 300-317
- Westig, M. P., Selig, S., Jacobs, K., et al., Improved Nb SIS devices for heterodyne mixers between 700 GHz and 1.3 THz with NbTiN transmission lines using a normal metal energy relaxation layer. J Appl Phys, 2013, 114, 124504 (co-authors: Klapwijk, T. M., Honingh, C. E.).
- Pütz, P., Honingh, C. E., Jacobs, K., et al., Terahertz hot electron bolometer waveguide mixers for GREAT. A&A, 2012, 542, L2 (co-authors: Justen, M., Schultz, M., Stutzki, J.).
- Graf, U. U., Simon, R., Stutzki, J., et al., [
12CII ] and [ 13CII ] 158 μm emission from NGC 2024: Large column densities of ionized carbon . A&A, 2012, 542, L16 (co-authors: Colgan, S. W. J., Guan, X., Güsten, R., Hartogh, P., Honingh, C. E., Hübers, H.-W.).
- Westig, M.P., Justen, M., Jacobs, K., et al., A 490 GHz planar circuit balanced Nb-Al2O3-Nb quasiparticle mixer for radio astronomy: Application to quantitative local oscillator noise determination. J Appl Phys, 2012, 112, 093919 (co-authors: Stutzki, J., Schultz, M., Schomacker, F., Honingh, C.E).
- Westig, M. P., Jacobs, K., Stutzki, J., et al., Balanced superconductor-insulator-superconductor mixer on a 9μm silicon membrane. Supercon. Sci Tech, 2011, 24, 85012 (co-authors: Schultz, M., Justen, M., Honingh, C. E.)
- Pütz, P., Jacobs, K., Justen, M., et al., NbTiN Hot Electron Bolometer Waveguide Mixers on Si3N4 Membranes at THz Frequencies. IEEE T Appl Supercon, 2011, 21, 636 (co-authors: Schomaker, F., Schultz, M., Wulff, S., Honingh, C. E.)
- Fathi, S., Jacobs, K., Schultz, M., Honingh, C.E., 1.9 THz Balanced Superconducting Hot Electron Bolometer Mixers integrated on Chip. Proc. 28th Int. Symp. on Space Terahertz Technology, 2017
- Böhm, J., Jacobs, K., Honingh, C.E., Design of simply structured metamaterial filteres at sub-THz frequencies. Proc. 28th Int. Symp. on Space Terahertz Technology, 2017
- Blauth, F., Jacobs, K. and Honingh, C.E., Design of Waveguide Coupled MKID Detectors. Proc. 28th Int. Symp. on Space Terahertz Technology, 2017
Dr. Netty Honingh (PI, PH1), Ignacio Barrueto (PH1), Florian Blauth (PH1), Johanna Böhm (PH1), Sina Fathi (PH1), Dr. Karl Jacobs (PH1), Dipl. Ing. (FH) Bettina Lindhorst (PH1), Dr. Patrick Pütz (PH1), Michael Schultz (PH1), Sina Widdig (PH1), Dipl. Ing. (FH) Stephan Wulff (PH1)